Friday, March 02, 2007

Think for yo' damn self

If it's human nature, to always worry or wonder about about other people, am I not human?

This morning I was going down one floor to the fitness center in the building where I work, my same routine everyday. I come in, say goodmorning or hey to the security guard, I press the button for the elevator and wait to see the bottom red light glow to signify that the elevator is going down. Then I go about my business.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but...
Elevators normally go up and down, and that's it, right????
This isn't the Wonkavator in Willy Wonka's chocoate factory.
That's what I thought.
Two days in a row, people have jumped on the elevator, before the doors close, and then after the fact, say "Oh- it's going down." I have said nothing both times. I know where I'm going. I don't know where they are going. Moreover, I don't care where they are going.

So, on day one (yesterday) the UPS guy got on, sees the button at the bottom pressed (maybe he thought it was the number 2), and presses the very top button, then he leans on the wall. The elevator starts moving, then he realizes , "Oh, it's going down." He scrambles to press buttons-- as if he's going to make the elevator change it's mine or let him off in mid-descent.
For the record: The elevator only goes to 1 lower level in the building----it has to go up after that!
UPS man , then muses, "I gues it's going up now." as I am walking off of the elevator. I give him the 'no teeth' smile and the head knod.

Then I go about my business. The elevator doors close, then he's off to where ever he's going.
He didn't bother looking to see which way the elevator was going. His bad!!! ...'Cause I am not responsible for him. But, in this case, what goes down, must come up----so no big deal aye!!!
That's what I think.
So.....

On day 2 (today) I followed my same routine. I know where I'm going and that's what counts, plus I've got 2 minutes before I'm officially late (they [the man] can tell what time you walked through the door). Some smug dork gets on. I don't know if he pressed a button for his floor or not---WHO CARES! I'm thinking hopefully the system's clock is the same as my watch---I hate being late. The elevator starts moving, and of course he's like, "Oh, it's going down." Then, the doors open and I leave out. This bastard, yells, "Well it was nice of you to tell me." I say, "It's not my job to know where you're going, you should have looked at the light---what am I a fucking bellhop!" Then I go about my business. The doors close and dorkface is probably pissed for the morning, that he had to go down one floor, before he went up.
I, on the other hand couldn't care less. It's not my job to worry and ponder about other people's actions/ Sure if I see you about to step of a curb and a Mack truck is coming, I'll say watch out. But, if I see you running for the subway train, I'm going to assume that you know you want to catch that particular train. They're labeled on the outside.
I'm not going to be yelling, "Heeeey, do you know that you're running to catch the yellow line?" or "Where are you going---that's the yellow line!!! "
I'm sorry, that's just not my concern or my responsiblity.
So, why do people act as if people should assume responsibility for their actions.

That's why people make signs like:
BEWARE OF THE DOG, WET PAINT,OPEN, AND CLOSED

So that people don't have to stand there all day and yell:
"Don't come in here or a dog will attack you. Seriously, a big ferocious dog will bite your ass!!!
or
"Don't touch that, we just painted and it's still wet. Seriously, paint will get on you!!!"
or
"Heeey, were open ---that means you can come in and conduct business now!!!"
or
We're closed. We can't do any business and the door is locked, so stop pulling it and looking puzzled, then putting your hands up to the glass and peering inside, stupid!!!"

So.....
Does the fact that I often am not worried about what someone else is doing or wondering about what they intend to do make me un-human? If so, I guess I'll have to be an alien then---because I have far to many things to think about to think for everyone else. If I notice, fine. But if not---
IT AIN'T MY FAULT!!!!!


E. Dizzle Forizzle!!!

Ms. Kane if your'e nasty!

No comments: